The 900-page investigative report of the Pennsylvania Grand Jury that examined more than half-a-million internal documents of dioceses in Pennsylvania, USA, discovered that 1,000 children had been sexually abused over a seventy-year period.
The report, which was released on 14th August 2018, identified 301 priests responsible for abusing at least 1000 victims.
These horrific crimes should be dealt with as they were in the Catholic past, with sentences including the death penalty being administered to convicted perpetrators.
But, in contradiction to the lurid headlines and disgusting stories liberally circulated by Mass Media and assorted anti-Catholic bigots who never miss a chance to slander and incite hatred against Catholics or the Catholic religion, the actual data revealed by this thorough independent review should be welcomed by Catholics and put into proper perspective.
Just as with previous analyses of official data undertaken by The Saint George Educational Trust, the Pennsylvania Grand Jury actually proves that Catholic institutions are still a far, far, safer environment for children to be in than the rest of society.
The latest report covers a period of 70 years, which is basically a human lifetime. So, the report essentially covers the lifetime of the entire Catholic population of Pennsylvania.
There are over three-million, two-hundred-thousand Catholics in Pennsylvania. Approximately one-thousand of them became victims of sexual abuse by clergy.
In other words, around 0.03 percent of Catholic children in Pennsylvania suffered sexual abuse at the hands of clergy.
Outside of the Catholic environment, official independent studies show that in the USA around a quarter of all children under eighteen – nearly 25% – are victims of sexual abuse.
As G.K. Chesterton famously said: “When people impute special vices to the Christian Church, they seem entirely to forget that the world (which is the only other thing there is) has these vices much more.”
E. Michael Jones in London, telling it as it is:
“Jesus Christ rejects racism”.
In a previous blogpost we recommended two excellent books produced by the Catholic publishing house IHS Press, and wrote that:
“Two seminal books were published nine years ago that laid out Catholic Just War principles, and questioned from every conceivable angle the morality of pursuing War in Iraq. Those principles of Catholic Just War doctrine remain just as profound, just as vital and just as applicable today whether it be in regard to the ongoing butchering of Syria and Iraq, or the insane provocations continually pursued against Iran and Russia, whether it be by direct military intervention, or by the training and funding of Takfiri or Banderite terror forces. ”
Here is Catholic author and publisher E. Michael Jones with his own unique social commentary regarding Just War in song!
Oh, my name is Irving Kristol, And my son his name is Bill, In my youth I followed Trotsky, But in truth I follow him still, But to say you are a Bolshevik, Would fill the world with dread, So please don’t call me a commie, Call me a neocon instead.
Yes we are the neoconservatives. We rule the world says I. And that dumb goy we call Georgie Boy, Doesn’t understand how or why, Oh we beat the wogs in Afghanistan, The fun has just begun, Comrade Trotsky would be proud to be, Known as a neocon.
To Keep the goyim pacified, While watching their TV, We let them watch dumb Irishmen, Like Comes and Hannity, Bill O’Reilly and Chris Matthews, They will lick our boots and sigh, But to run the New World Order, No dumb Irish need apply.
David Frum can excommunicate, Paleocons from National Review, For to be a neoconservative, Is to be one of a chosen few, Oh we’re marching into Syria, The fun has just begun, Comrade Trotsky would be proud to be, Known as a neocon.
Comrade Trotsky and Podhoretz, Both believe in perpetual war, And ever since Norman won World War III, He’s calling this World War IV, David Brooks and Comrade Trotsky, Both believe in one world class, And if you don’t want to be bourgeoisie, You can kiss David’s middle-class ass.
Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, Support us on TV, While waiting to be raptured, Into pre-eternity, Oh we’re marching into Syria, The fun has just begun, Comrade Trotsky would be proud to be, Known as a neocon.
Hammurabi’s tablets got busted, During the looting in Iraq, But we’re marching into Syria, Behind George Bush’s back, They’ve got weapons of mass destruction, They got ’em from Saddam Hussein, they’ve got weapons of mass destruction, Let’s all say it once again,
They’ve got weapons of mass destruction, Oh, believe me, please believe, If you want to know just where they are, They’re hidden in Tel Aviv, Oh we’re marching into Syria, The fun has just begun, Comrade Trotsky would be proud to be, Known as a neocon.
Lyrics Copyright 2003 E. Michael Jones
Research and analyses of official data, conducted by The Saint George Educational Trust, regarding Child Sexual Abuse reveals that by far the largest number of cases of child sexual abuse involving Catholic clergy have been recorded in the USA.
- Over a 42-year period there were 10,667 cases of child sexual abuse and 81% of that sexual abuse was suffered by boys under eighteen years of age. [The Nature and Scope of the Problem of Sexual Abuse of Minors by Catholic Priests and Deacons in the United States, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, 2004].
Approximately one-quarter of the population of the USA is nominally Catholic – that is seventy million people. If the reasonable assumption is made that half of the Catholic population passed through childhood during this 42-year period then 0.03% of Catholic children suffered sexual abuse at the hands of Catholic clergy.
- In Ireland, over a 34-year period, more than one hundred and seventy thousand children passed through Industrial and Reformatory Schools run by the Catholic Church. Of this number a total of 369 people, 242 males and 127 females, made complaint to the Irish Child Abuse Commission during its nine-year investigation that they had suffered sexual abuse. [Final Report, Commission to Enquire into Child Abuse, Dublin, 2009].
The incidence rate is 0.2%. Of the accused perpetrators 45% were Catholic clergy or religious, and 55% were visiting professionals, hired staff, family members or other pupils.
In stark contrast, in Secular Society:
- In the UK an average of 16% of children under sixteen years of age suffer sexual abuse, 17% of boys and 28% of girls, in a secular environment. [Cawson et al, 2000, Child Maltreatment in the United Kingdom: A Study of the Prevalence of Child Abuse and Neglect. London, NSPCC, page 85].
- In the USA 22%-23% of children under eighteen years of age suffer sexual abuse, 17% of boys and 28% of girls, in a secular environment. These are average rates compiled from 23 independent studies. [Rind et al, 1998, A Meta-Analytic Examination of Assumed Properties of Child Sexual Abuse Using college Samples; Psychological Bulletin 124: pages 22-53].
- 9.6% of students suffer sexual abuse in secular US schools. [Shakeshaft, Educator Sexual Misconduct: A Synthesis of the Literature, US Dept. of Education, 2004].
In summary we can say that the official statistics prove beyond any doubt that, contrary to pernicious media stories, the sexual abuse of children is hundreds of times more prevalent in Secular Society than it is in the Catholic Church.