An appeal from John Smeaton of the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children.
Dear SPUC Supporter,
I am writing to you about an extremely urgent matter – the latest attack on pro-life vigils. Peaceful, pro-life vigils outside abortion centres and hospitals have saved thousands of babies and their mothers from abortion. But now these life-saving, prayerful vigils are under attack from the highest authority.
On Sunday 26 November 2017, the Home Secretary, Amber Rudd MP, announced a review into “harassment and intimidation near abortion clinics”.
This review will:
- Gather evidence from police forces, healthcare providers and local authorities.
- Gather ‘detailed evidence and firm recommendations’ to allow the government ‘to take the right action to tackle this problem’.
- Consider what further action the government can take, which could include bolstering or creating new police and civil powers.
Key points to note:
- The review makes no reference to consulting with the pro-life groups which run the vigils.
- The review is based on the assumption that harassment and intimidation are taking place. In fact, pro-life acts of witness in Britain are well-known for their peaceful, prayerful nature.
- The basis of the review is not if anything more is needed in addition to existing legislation against harassment and intimidation, but what more needs to be done.
- Vulnerable women, under pressure to abort, will suffer if pro-life vigils are shut down, by denying them vital information which may persuade them to keep their baby.
Ms Rudd’s assessment of what actually happens at pro-life vigils is misleading. The outcome of the review has been prejudiced. Please ask your MP to write to Amber Rudd objecting to the terms of this biased review.
To help you write your letter I am attaching:
This Home Office review is a wholly inappropriate response to small numbers of prayerful people who offer leaflets to women. These leaflets let women know where they can get help, which they cannot get anywhere else. Please make this your number one pro-life priority. Nothing is more urgent.
Please send any responses you get from your MP to SPUC.
With my very best wishes,